Friday 31 August 2012

Solstice by Bryan W. Dull

SolsticeSolstice by Bryan W. Dull
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received this book as an ARC from the author.

Gavin is a vampire hunter. He hunts humans who have been 'infected' and kills them before they fully turn. Gavin, like any good main character hero sort, has a past that continually haunts him. Gavin's past has made him a bit cynical, but he is overall a good guy. When he meets Solstice, he can't just turn her out on her own, no matter how much he would like to. Gavin is the sort of guy that makes a great main character, and he might just be getting his second chance at life.

Solstice is a half vampire, half human. She is alone in the world, and all she really wants is to be normal. She appears sweet and innocent, but there is a danger lurking underneath the surface that we only get a very small glimpse of in this book. I love the mystery surrounding Solstice. Even though she is the book's namesake, we really don't know very much about her, but just enough to peak interest.

I enjoyed the author's writing style. The story flowed smoothly and was easy to read. Gavin's sarcastic wit and humor was refreshing in this dark story. Really the only thing that brought this book down for me was the prologue. The scene itself was powerful, and I really liked the potential there but felt it just didn't deliver. I can't really put my finger on what is bugging me about it, though. It very well could be the third person narration, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I just think it could have been given more force.

As I said above I received an unedited ARC, so there were many grammatical errors and a few timeline issues in this book. I heard that Solstice was picked up by a publisher, so going through that process and an editor should fix all of those issues. Overall I really enjoyed this story and am looking forward to see where the author takes it. Thank you to Bryan Dull for letting me read your book!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment