Sunday 5 August 2012

Author Interview with H.D. Gordon

I'd like to welcome H.D. Gordon to our blog today to talk about her newest book, Joe!



Author: H.D. Gordon
Title:  Joe
Genre: Paranormal thriller
Published: June 2012
Available From:
Amazon and Barnes & Noble

From the author of the Alexa Montgomery Saga, comes a book that will take you into the mind of a geniune pyschopath, the lives of six ordinary people, and the world of a very special girl named Joe.

Joe is seemingly an ordinary college student. She works, studies and reads. But in between these activities Joe has a gift that promises to add a dose of color to her life at any given moment. Joe sees things before they happen. Bad things, and the worst thing she has ever faced is just around the corner. Someone is planning a massacre at the college university that Joe attends, and the only person with a hope of stopping the pyschopath is her.

Oh, the beauty of foresight. More like a curse. Joe has four days to figure out the mystery, make plans to take down the pyscho, and save the lives of people. People like you and me. Ordinary people

Thanks for stopping by H.D.!  When did you first decide you wanted to write?
As far back as I can remember, I have been writing. I began reading very young, and before long I found myself wanted to create works of my own. When I got to college, I decided to major in journalism, because that was the closest I thought I would ever get to being able to write for a living. I found my passion in fiction after taking a semester off to write Blood Warrior. After sales picked up, I decided I could write full time. Thanks to the readers, I get to live my dream. Now I can't imagine doing anything else.

Tell us a little bit about “Joe.”
Joe is my proudest work yet. She is a strange girl with the ability to see the future. Sounds fun, right? Wrong. She sees disaster and takes it upon herself to stop it from happening. Foresight and intelligence are the only weapons Joe has. The villain of the story, The Decider, is a bonafide psychopath. With his perspective, you get to see just what poor little Joe is up against.

“Joe” is written in multiple viewpoints. Was it hard keeping them all straight while you were writing? How does this make “Joe” different?
Not really. I knew that if I was on the right path, all eight of the characters would become real to me, and they did. Some I cared about more than others, but they all existed for me, and that was what was important. Eight points of views may seem like too much for some readers, but I had to make them understand what was at stake here. Readers had to see that the potential victims of The Decider's plotted crimes were not just cardboard cutouts; that they had lives and dreams and people who cared about them. Much too often we are desensitized by the media we take in. We hear about violent crimes all the time, and we aren't really affected unless they are directly related to us. The story behind the stories is the lives that are lost, and those who are forever changed by those losses. I think by using the eight perspectives, I might have given some readers a new perspective. At least, that was the goal.

What was the biggest challenge you ran into while writing “Joe?”
With every book I write, numerous challenges arise. I understand very little about my "process", but I do know enough to know that if I spend enough hours agonizing over whatever I am having trouble with, the answer will eventually come to me. Most of the time, it is not all rainbows and butterflies.

What do you do to keep busy when you’re not writing?
My partner and good friend, Nicole Passante takes care of most of that for me. I am a hermit by nature, so it is not uncommon for me to go MIA for weeks at a time. Nicole makes sure I stay in touch with readers and such. I have met some really awesome people this way. You would be amazed at how generous and kind and accepting readers can be. It is a great pleasure to be able to get to know some of them.

If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
Hmm, I love to travel, but right now, I have two young children, and traveling extensively would not be easy. In honesty, the place is only so good as the people in it, and right now, I have lots of family with me, so there is really no other place I would rather be. But... Hawaii is always nice. :)

What are you working on now?
I am working on book three of the Alexa Montgomery Saga. It won't be long now. I promise.

What book are you currently reading?
Book three of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's called The Waste lands.
Thanks so much for having me. I love your group on Goodreads. You have been especially kind to me from the start.

 

About H.D. Gordon
H. D. Gordon is the author of The Alexa Montgomery Saga. Blood Warrior, the first book of the Alexa series was her debut novel and has held a spot in the top 100 fantasy bestsellers for over a month. Half Black Soul is the second book in this series and H. D. plans to complete Alexa's tales by the end of 2012. In June of 2012, Joe, a fantasy novel about a young clairvoyant, was released as well. H. D. is a lifelong reader and writer, a true lover of words. When she is not reading or writing she is raising her two daughters, playing a little guitar, and spending time with her family. She is twenty three years old and lives in the northeastern United States.


Find H.D. Gordon here!
Website:
http://hdgordon.com/

Email: hd@hdgordon.com

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/HDGordonauthor

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hd_gordon

4 comments:

  1. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! This book's on my TBR list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this interview. Great job ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Interview, Love you Heather ;-)

    ReplyDelete