Sunday 16 September 2012

When We Were Friends by Elizabeth Joy Arnold

When We Were Friends: A NovelWhen We Were Friends: A Novel by Elizabeth Joy Arnold
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book for a quick, easy read. The main character, Lainey, was likeable, if not a bit naive-going-on-stupid, and Sydney was the girl you love to hate. Lainey's mother, too, was a likeable character. I really liked how Lainey helped take care of her mother and loved her so much despite her flaws, and I loved the evolving relationship between Lainey and Alex. The book was captivating enough to keep me turning the page to find out what happens next. Although I had pretty much figured everything out three-fourths of the way through, I had to keep reading to make sure I was right.

The only thing I really did not like about the book was the completely unbelievable choices Lainey kept making. 1) Completely uprooting your life and going "on the run" with the child of a "friend" you had not seen in years. If it was real life (I know, it would not be fiction if it was real), she would have simply gone to the police and told her side of the story when Sydney claimed the baby had been kidnapped. 2) Meeting a stranger in the middle of the street and basically moving in with him…with a child? Really? 3) Moving your mother in with you and said stranger…enough said.

So although I did enjoy the book, I do not think I would have been missing out on anything if I had skipped over it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment