Sunday 22 September 2013

Wake Up Call by Victoria Ashley

Wake Up CallWake Up Call by Victoria Ashley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Avery is a barely 19-year-old on her own and struggling day by day just to get by. Unable to find a job due to lack of experience, she has resorted to stripping to keep herself off the street. When she finds herself in a situation she cannot figure out how to get out of on her own, she relies on enigmatic and sexy Jace – though only because she really has no other choice. Avery does not trust easily, or at all, but Jace is determined to help her and will push until she cannot take it anymore.

As for the characters, Avery was really hard to like at first. Sure she had had a hard life, but when reading a book you want the character to have overcome the odds, to be different, to be kind and caring despite her past, but Avery was not like that. After the first couple of chapters I really did not like her much at all, and I was worried that her personality would bring the whole story down for me. However, she did grow on me. She was still hard and determined not to let anyone close, but she had her reasons, and she did try.

Jace was pretty awesome, though pushy at times, but I guess that's an admirable quality in an alpha male, which he definitely is. He's just really an overall nice guy, the kind of guy who when he sees someone in need he reaches out to them. This obsession with helping people has gotten him hurt in the past, but it does not stop him from helping Avery.

Overall the story was good and the writing was good, but there were many grammatical errors throughout the book, which I would not even mention if they were few and far between, but they were frequent, and having my eye catch on them and cause me to stop reading really took away from the story. There were also a couple of eye rolling moments for me in the story where I just thought, like that would really happen, and loose ends tied up too quickly or too neatly, but overall I enjoyed the story. Thank you to the author for providing me with a copy of her book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment