Thursday 11 October 2012

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

DarkfeverDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I admit I've been going between 4 and 5 stars on this one. I ultimately decided on 5 because I think the little things that annoyed me weren't bad enough to knock of an entire star. Here's what I liked:

Mac is a pretty fun character. Annoyingly stereotypical blonde girly-girl at times (think Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde), she also stood up for herself and wasn't afraid to get in anybody's face who got in her way (namely sexy and mysterious Barrons). All in all, MacKayla is a fun character. You could actually see her development, both outward and inward, over the course of the story, and I look forward to seeing where she goes from here. Barrons' domineering manner commands attention. We know pretty much nothing about him except that he is mysterious, sexy, rich, and dangerous. Enough to keep us interested? Definitely.

I like how the Fae are portrayed in this book. Though we don't know a lot about them yet, they are interesting in how they work and their background. I'm intrigued enough to want to know more about them. I enjoyed the author's writing style. The setting is serious, yet the book is not dark with just the right amount of humor (mostly from Mac) thrown in.

Now, what I didn't like: Really, it was small things. Mac did some pretty stupid things sometimes, enough to make me actually cringe. And the fact that, although the book was full of action, nothing really happened. This book was a setup for the rest of the series, but there was nothing in this book that came to a conclusion. However, I gave it 5 stars because, as I said above, those two small things don't cancel out everything I liked about the book.

I listened to the audio of Darkfever. The narration was good in every way except when she did Barrons' voice; that made me cringe every time. I think she was going for sexy but ended up raspy and kind of creepy. Anyway, I have books 2-5 already cued up on my iPod waiting for me, so off I go to #2!


View all my reviews

1 comment: