Thursday 22 May 2014

Book Beginnings #7: Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz

Book Beginnings
is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader

Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

You can find more information and how to participate on your blog HERE! 


My Beginning...

 
Tuesday was a fine day in California, full of sunshine and promise, 

until Harry Lyon had to shoot someone at lunch. 


Mystery, Suspense
Hardcover
, 371 pages
Published October 5th 1994 by Smithmark Publishers
 
Police detective Harry Lyon is a perfectionist who likes his condo immaculate, his suits well tailored, and his homicide files error-free. To Harry's dismay, his partner, Connie Gulliver, embraces chaos, urging him to "get in touch with the rhythms of destruction." But when Harry and Connie have to kill in the line of duty, the ensuing surreal nightmare makes Connie's cynical world view seem all too accurate.

When that same afternoon, a homeless stranger with bloodshot eyes utters the haunting words that challenge Harry Lyon's sanity...

"Ticktock, ticktock. You'll be dead in sixteen hours...Dead by dawn...Dead by dawn...dead by dawn..."

My Thoughts
I am a long-time fan of Dean Koontz, but I started with his later works and haven't gotten around to reading most of his earlier works.  Let me tell you, the man has written a lot of books!  This one was first published in 1988, so it's one I haven't gotten to yet. 

I found this particular book at a used book sale put on to raise money for our local library.  I read the summary and was on the fence about buying it, when I opened up to the first page and read the first sentence.  I decided I had to have it :)

6 comments:

  1. I love how this sounds. Mysteries are my favorite and the Koontz writes some really impressive ones. Here is my post: Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shooting someone at lunchtime could definitely put a damper on your day! I've read several Koontz books and enjoyed them all. This sounds like a good one too.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: THE DOCTOR'S INDISCRETION.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been years since I've read any Dean Koontz but this reminded me that I always enjoyed his books. I love how the shooting sounds like an inconvenience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh course! That first sentence is definitely a great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a Koontz fan but like the beginning....

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!


    AND

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a fantastic opening!

    ReplyDelete