Thursday 1 May 2014

Book Beginnings #5: Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Book Beginnings
is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader


Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

You can find more information and how to participate on your blog HERE!  



 I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first. My nose isn't at its best when surrounded by axle grease and burnt oil--and it's not like there are a lot of stray werewolves running around. So when someone made a polite noise near my feet to get my attention, I thought he was a customer.

by  Patricia Briggs
Urban Fantasy
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published January 31st 2006 by Ace


Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water..

My Thoughts
This is a re-read for me.  After the latest book in the series came out this past March, I remembered just how much I loved it and decided to start again at the beginning :)

This book is set in a world of werewolves, fae, vampires, and other shifters, such as Mercy.  Mercy is a breath of fresh air for me - a strong female lead who can kick ass and not have to depend on the males around her for protection.  Though she's not supernaturally strong or fast, she manages to hold her own surrounded by creatures bigger and badder than her.


5 comments:

  1. Not my usual genre, but I hope you are loving the reread. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many werewolf beginnings today! I must be missing out! Ha ha! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read a lot in the werewolf genre, but the beginning is good! Here is my Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Errr... how can one not realize a werewolf? ;) Thanks for popping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read this genre, but excellent, descriptive beginning.

    Enjoy!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete