Thursday 15 May 2014

Book Beginnings #7: Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

Book Beginnings
is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader


Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

You can find more information and how to participate on your blog HERE! 

The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.
by
Urban Fantasy
Hardcover, 370 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Roc Hardcover

For Harry Dresden, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Still, there’s something more troubling than usual about his newest case. The film’s producer believes he’s the target of a sinister curse-but it’s the women around him who are dying.

Harry’s even more frustrated because he only got involved with this bizarre mystery as a favor to Thomas-his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can’t quite figure out. But Harry is about to discover that Thomas’ family tree has been hiding a shocking revelation that will change his life forever…

My Thoughts
If you've read any of the Dresden File books you probably understand why that first line is so significant...and funny.  Harry, wizard, has a knack for getting himself into trouble - a lot of trouble!  In this case, though, it wasn't his fault :) 

I highly recommend this series to anyone who loves UF, magic, vampires, and a self-sacrificing wizard with a sense of humor.

7 comments:

  1. I love that first sentence! It is shocking but with humor. I haven't read any of the Dresden File books but it sounds interesting. The cover art is eerie! Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate. I am now following your blog as well.
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, so intense! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although this isn't a genre I usually read, I am intrigued by the book's opening and the synopsis. I always enjoy humor. Sounds like a good story.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: DARLIN' IRISH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheri,

    Although that opening line is intriguing and the cover art is completely intense and alluring at one and the same time, I can definitely say that this isn't a book for me. I do hope that you enjoy it however and thank you for sharing those words.

    Have a great weekend,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If a building were on fire, I dont think anyone would want to own up to it! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a few students really like the Dresden File books that reminds me it is time to pull them up and put them on display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheri, I like this beginning, it makes me want to read on, and I like the cover too. Thanks very much for visiting my blog and commenting on my beginnings post too, and thanks for the follow, following back! Lindsay

    ReplyDelete