Q & A with Nicola S. Dorrington

The Last Knight
Pendragon #1
by Nicola S. Dorrington


Like any teenage girl, Cara Page dreams of the future, the difference is, every day those dreams come true.

Now she's dreaming of a boy, and a future that can't be real. Because if it is, then everything she thought was myth and legend is actually true, and there is an evil coming that will tear the country apart.

Lance Filwer is a boy with secrets of his own, and a past full of mistakes he can't undo. Cara is his second chance, his chance to succeed where he failed before - if only she'll trust him enough to let him help her.

Cara needs to know what's happening, but the answer lies in a long forgotten past, and an ancient legend. To find it Cara will have to travel into the depths of Wales, and the heart of ancient Britain.

With Wraiths, creatures from the darkest of myths, dogging her every move, Cara knows it's only a matter of time before they catch up with her. And myth or not, they will kill her.

Her only hope is Lance, and the birth right she must claim, if she is to prevent the future she has foreseen.

Find it on Goodreads
Amazon

Read It & Reap:  January 26, 2016



Nicola S. Dorrington is a 30 year-old writer from England, currently living in the Cayman Islands,
where she procrastinates by staring at the ocean.

THE LAST KNIGHT was her first novel, set in a wet and mythical version of the country she left behind.

CHASING FREEDOM, her second novel shows a slightly different, but still mythical, side to her old home.

She fully expects to one day be a crazy old cat lady - only with dogs.



                           Q & A with Nicola S. Dorrington

Q:  Tell us a little bit about your main characters.

Cara, the lead character in The Pendragon series is kick-ass. At least, I hope she is. I like strong, female characters in what I write, and what I read. At the beginning of the series she's being bullied, struggling a lot with being 'different' but once she comes to accept who she is, she takes on this incredible strength and sense of purpose.

As for Lance. He has issues. But who doesn't. Being the reincarnation of a rather famous legendary figure doesn't help!


Q: 
Who designs the covers for your books and what is that process like for you as an author?

My first book actually had two designs. The first I still love, but I wanted to update it and actually someone who had read the book helped to redesign it. Since then I've actually designed my own covers for my books. Partly because I enjoy the creative aspect, and partly because I'm a control freak. Every cover I make teaches me a little more so I like to think they're getting better as I go. I'm not sure I could give up that creative control.


Q: 
Describe your ideal writing spot.

I live down in the Caribbean so everyone always expects me to say the beach, but I actually write best surrounded by people, so I do a lot of my writing in one of the beach bars on the island. I have a spot at the bar where I always sit where I can see most of bar and down to the ocean. For some reason having noise and people around me makes the words flow better!


Q: 
What is the best advice you have been given?

To just keep writing. That the more you write the more you learn about writing. With writing it really is a case of practice makes perfect.


Q: 
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

An astronaut. In fact I still want to be an astronaut. The first stories I wrote were all sci-fi because space and the universe just fascinates me. My biggest dream is that they'll introduce commercial trips to the moon in my life time.


Q: 
Which do you prefer: hard/paperbacks or ebooks?

I do love a proper book, there is something very comforting about a paper and ink book. However, my kindle is just so practical and accessible. I read a lot, and very quickly, so if I go on a long plane journey I would need about 4 books for a 13 hour flight. It gets a bit much. With my kindle I have my whole library with me all the time!


Q:  If you could have any supernatural ability what would you choose and why?
I think I'd want Cara's ability in The Last Knight - to be able to see the future. I think I'd like to know what's coming.


Q: 
What book are you reading now?

I have just started re-reading Game of Thrones, the first A Song of Ice and Fire book.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller