I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

 

I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy
My rating:  4/5 stars

My oldest daughter grew up with iCarly and Sam & Cat, so I've seen most of the episodes. I always thought they were entertaining and fun, something we could watch together. It's sometimes hard to remember while you're being entertained by the TV that those are real people with real lives and real problems. I chose to read this book partly because I love biographies/memoirs but also partly because of Jennette McCurdy and her tie to those shows.

It's heartbreaking to see how she grew up and the love she had for her mother who was so obviously (to anyone on the outside looking in) abusive. She was a great actress, but absolutely hated it. In this book Jennette was open and honest about her childhood, teens, and early adulthood. She managed to take this horribly sad and disturbing story of her life and turn it into something positive for herself. I'm sure she will always struggle with her body image, but she's come a long way and has so much to look forward to in the future.

I listened to the audio of this book. Jennette read it herself, which made it all that more amazing. Thank you Ms. McCurdy for sharing your story and for being an encouragement to others going through similar struggles. I wish you all the best.

See all of my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller