Friday 20 June 2014

Book Beginnings #9: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Book Beginnings
is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader

Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

You can find more information and how to participate on your blog HERE!



I knew it would begin with the end, and the end would look like death to these eyes.  I had been warned. 
Not these eyes. My eyes. This was me now.


Chapter 1, page 9

 
Title:  The Host 
Author:  Stephenie Meyer 
Urban Fantasy/Romance/Dystopian
Hardcover, 620 pages

Published May 6th 2008 by Little Brown and Company


Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

My Thoughts
This opening is Wanderer waking up in Melanie's body for the first time.  Everything is strange to her, foreign.  Throughout the story she must acclimate herself to the overwhelming emotions and memories of Melanie's human mind.

I enjoyed The Host (but haven't seen the movie yet)! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Your beginning is interesting but out of my genre.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it's the opposite with me. I've seen the movie but only recently caved and bought the book. I'll have to read it soon....ugh so little time >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing excerpt...thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way! I just picked up this book at the Goodwill yesterday! OOoOooO I'm excited! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about reading this series. I like the part you gave here. I suppose this is the first book. Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete