Tuesday 12 August 2014

Teaser Tuesday #21: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly Meme hosted by  
Should Be Reading! 
where you share two “teaser” sentences from your current read.


Find out how you can participate Here!


The man in black smiled. "Shall we tell the truth then, you and I? No more lies?"

"I thought we had been."

But the man in black persisted as if Roland hadn't spoken. "Shall there be truth between us, as two men? Not as friends, but as equals? There is an offer you will get rarely, Roland. Only equals speak the truth, that's my thought on't. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of regard. How tiresome!”

Title:  The Gunslinger
Series:  The Dark Tower #1
Author:  Stephen King


Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is King's most visionary feat of storytelling, a magical mix of science fiction, fantasy, and horror that may well be his crowning achievement.

In The Gunslinger (originally published in 1982), King introduces his most enigmatic hero, Roland Deschain of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger. He is a haunting, solitary figure at first, on a mysterious quest through a desolate world that eerily mirrors our own. Pursuing the man in black, an evil being who can bring the dead back to life, Roland is a good man who seems to leave nothing but death in his wake.

My Thoughts 
Being a HUGE Stephen King fan, I have read everything he's ever written. 
I read this series years and years ago, and fell in love with it.  I'm really not big on westerns, but this is King...I had to read it.  And, even though Roland is a gunslinger and there is a very western-y feel to the whole series, that's not all it is.  This isn't really, in my opinion, typical Stephen King, though the trademark writing and characterization is there. 

I'm listening to the series the second time around, and though I'm not a huge fan of the narrator, it is still King and still awesome. 

4 comments:

  1. THE MASTER!! This one sounds out of my interest level with the western thing but I love this author! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Here's my TT: Worth Forgiving by Vi Keeland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a different kind of Stephen King story. I'll add this to my list.
    My Teaser is from WHERE OR WHEN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this book! You should take a peek at the comics, because they cover a lot of stuff that wasn't in the books. King approved all of it, so it's official.

    Here's my teaser:
    http://www.owlcatmountain.com/2014/08/12/tuesday-teaser-august-12/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never read any graphic novels, but this seems like a good one to start with. I'll check it out :)

      Delete