The Alexa Montgomery Series by H.D. Gordon

Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1)Blood Warrior by H.D. Gordon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blood Warrior is the story of Alexa, a 17-year-old girl struggling to fit into her life. She has a seemingly crazy mother, a sister she would kill for, and a best friend who she knows will always be there for her.

Alexa’s life takes a crazy turn the night her home is attacked and she’s forced to run with her sister and friend Jackson, leaving her mother behind. Along the many twists and turns, Alexa comes to the realization that nothing is as it seems, even herself. Through this book we watch her inner struggle with herself as she comes to term with who she really is, as well as the outer struggles among the people who are supposed to be allies.

Blood Warrior is a captivating book. The characters are so well drawn, you cannot help but want to be happy for them, cry for them, and be upset when they are wronged. Alexa is a teenage girl who has always been a loner, never seeming to fit in, and she ends up with more attention then she ever wanted. Watching her character struggle throughout this book is heart wrenching. You cannot help but lover her and cheer her on. Nelly is such a sweet sister, and the strong bond between Alexa and Nelly is evident. Jackson…well, I love Jackson! He wears his heart on his sleeve and is so good to Alexa you cannot help but love him, too. As for Kayden…there is definitely a strong bond between Alexa and Kayden, but at this point she’s not sure she can trust him.

This book is the best .99 I have ever spent! I would have gladly paid more for it and felt it worth the money. I love the author’s writing easy writing style, the plot, and the characters. Blood Warrior was a page turner that left me wanting more. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series to see where it takes Alexa and her friends. 


Half Black Soul (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #2)Half Black Soul by H.D. Gordon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The second book in the Alexa Montgomery series picks up right where the first one left off. In this book we get to see Alexa grow into her role as a Sun Warrior. It is a difficult struggle for her, though, to embrace her destiny and accept what she sees as a monster inside of her. We also got to see her grow as a person as she searches out her feelings for Kayden.

I loved that we got Nelly's POV in this book. She is a great character and you can see, though she did not play a big role in book one, she is quickly becoming crucial to the plot of the story. I liked the fact that we got to know her a little bit better and were able to invest ourselves in her more.

The world the author created for this book was wonderful. She has a way of painting a picture with her words that flow right off the page. This series is fast becoming a favorite for me.


The Rise (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #3)The Rise by H.D. Gordon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The third installment of the Alexa Montgomery series is amazing in that the author took the word "twist" to a whole new level. No way could anyone have seen that coming. The story continues right where book 2 left off but plunges into a dark abyss that will be difficult to climb out of. The book is action packed with never a dull moment. There is a lot of love in this story, as well as loss, pain, hope, fear, emotion, emotion, emotion, and the author did it all quite well.

Through the whole story, even still at the end, Alexa is conflicted with what and who she is. She knows her fate and never questions it, though she does wonder, why her? What makes her so special that she should be able to do what is being asked of her? Though I love Alexa and her badass self, her whole crappy attitude did get on my nerves a bit in this book (is it really necessary to be so freaking rude to EVERYBODY? I'm sure she has some niceness in her somewhere…I hope it does come out eventually. It would be a nice change for her…maybe at least to be nice to Kayden).

And Jackson, oh my true love, Jackson. What could I possibly say about you? I cannot possibly leave you out of my review of this book; however, I'll just leave it at that. I love you. Enough said.

On top of all of that, the books are incredibly well written. The author really has a way with words, painting almost whimsical pictures with her poetic-like words. I would definitely recommend this series as a must-read to everyone!


Redemption (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #4)Redemption by H.D. Gordon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Writing this review is bittersweet. I absolutely fell in love with this series and the characters therein, but it came to a necessary end. You have to love a book that can punch you in the gut in the last chapter. It was not at all what I was expecting, but then, why read a book if you know exactly what's coming?

As I have said in all my reviews for this series, I love H.D. Gordon's writing. She has a way with words and is able to take this complex storyline with so much going on and make it smooth and beautiful. She has quite an imagination and brings it out well with her words.

It was difficult to watch Alexa go through this book. She was so very young and innocent in so many ways, yet had the weight of the world on her shoulders. Everyone looked to her to fix their problems, knowing what the outcome would be, while she struggled with her own inner turmoil. I loved Kayden all the more for being her rock and sticking with her even though he knew the most probable outcome.

The story overall is rather dark. It tells a tale of life and love and loss and asks the question, how much are you willing to sacrifice? For some, the answer is everything.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller