Tuesday 14 May 2013

Q & A with A.R. Voss and M.D. Bushnell

Title: Rise of the Destroyer

Series: The Key of Creation, Book 1

Authors: A.R. Voss and M.D. Bushnell

Page Count: 200

Genre: Epic fantasy

Published: January 4, 2013

Book Description: It has been five centuries since a well-placed arrow put an end to the reign of terror brought by Sargon the Destroyer. Time passed, and the wounds of the land healed while magic was forgotten. Now, Aldrick and his family enjoy a peaceful journey to the Tournament of the King. He could never have imagined on that beautiful spring day, that his life was about to change, or that his destiny might be to face… …The Rise of the Destroyer.



  





Q & A with A.R. Voss and M.D. Bushnell

Q:  Tell us a little bit about your main characters.
A.R.: I feel most main characters have a close relationship with the author, and since there are two of us; we focused on a main character each. The characters were inspired by Plato’s tripartite theory of soul: Appetitive, Rational, and Spirited. Aldrick (Rational) is a lover of books, an investigator, a family man and of course a great fighter. He is the logical sort of man, with a questionable past that keeps him reluctant to believe in the return of magic. Garrick (Spirited) is a player, the prince and a contender for the kingship of Asturia under the false name of Gilmoure.

M.D.: To reiterate, the original idea came from Plato’s Tripartite Theory of Soul, which says the human soul consists of three parts: Logic and Reason, Spirit, and Appetitive or Desire. The three main characters sprang from that idea, and became Aldrick, Garrick, and Aelianna (who appears in book 2) respectively. A.R. focused more on Aldrick, who is the main character of the first three books. I am more the voice of Garrick, who will be the focus of books 4-6, and we worked more or less equally on Aelianna. The original inspiration for the story itself was the tales of Gilgamesh.

Q:  What was your favorite scene to write?
A.R.: My personal favorite scene thus far has to be the chapter regarding Aelianna’s journey in the second book of the series.

M.D.: My personal favorite was the Joust scene in Rise of the Destroyer. That was a fun chapter, and I was excited every time I read it. A close second was the scene early on, in which Aldrick tells his son about the Creation history of their world. That chapter was a long time in the making.

Q:  How would you describe your writing style?
A.R.: Interestingly enough, Mike and I have a very different writing style. Therefore in order to keep the book consistent, we decided to keep it in Mike’s voice for the entire series.

M.D.: Our differences in writing style were something we didn’t take into account when we began this project. We simply thought it would be interesting to try writing something together. But what began as a simple writing project has now turned into a (planned) nine book fantasy series. My style has matured since we began, but I tried to keep it easy to read, while remaining true to the formality of epic fantasy.

Q:  What was the experience like, writing with a co-author?
A.R: Oh boy… I feel writing with a partner is a very delicate process. There were many a time that we wanted to kill each other in the beginning. It took a bit to get used to one another’s expectations. However after some long conversations, I feel we are at a very good place as co-authors. Now we understand what each other needs and try not to hurt each other’s feelings. Well, most of the time. I have to admit, I may not be the easiest person to work with sometimes.

M.D.: Ha, it’s true; there were many times over the past 3 years that I wondered if we would ever get through it. But as A.R. said, we have (mostly) come to an understanding of how to work together. I would also say that the book(s) would not be what they are without that odd mixture of talent that we so unwittingly brought together.

Q:  What do you see as influences on your writing?
A.R.: There are many things that have influenced me in all aspects of writing; from childhood experiences to everything I’ve read.

M.D.: Early on, my mother gave me The Lord of the Rings to read. It was one of her favorite books, and she reread it nearly every year. That was all it took to hook me on fantasy. I went on to read and love David Eddings, Stephen Donaldson, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind and many others. I realize that some people read books outside of the genre of fantasy, but I can’t imagine why! 

Q:  Where do you hope to see yourself in the next five years?
A.R.: We have six more books left in the series, which I personally hope to get at least two of the books out a year. I’m also working on several other projects, one of which is scheduled to release June first of this year, titled “Devil’s Last Waltz.”

M.D: My goal by then is to be making a living as an author, rather than writing here and there, around a full-time job. Perhaps attending the premiere of the movie that will (inevitably) be made from this series…once the right people read it! 

Q:  What do you do to unwind and relax?
A.R.: Reading is actually my greatest escape. I love reading a good book in bed.

M.D.: I love to read, but I’m also a movie buff; I love a good movie, and will watch my favorites over and over. I’m also a bit of a video gamer, which has gotten me in trouble with my co-author from time to time….

Q:  What book are you reading now?
A.R.: I started reading “The Host,” but it’s taking me a bit to get into; I also picked up a couple of fellow Indie author’s books that I’m reading simultaneously (not something I normally do): Thomas Duder’s second installment of his Taboo series, ‘Where’s the Beef,’ and ‘Dead Letter Day,’ by Keri Beevis.

M.D.: I’m working on an outline for a new sci-fi/comedy series of my own, and I’ve been rereading a few books for inspiration, starting with the “Myth” series by Robert Asprin, that began with “Another Fine Myth”. I just finished “Sweet Myth-tery of Life” and “Myth-ion Improbable”. They are very silly books, and yet wonderful anyway.

Q:  Are your books available in any other languages other than English?
Yes they are currently being translated into French by Christian-Adam Ribeiraud. And we are in process of negotiating for Spanish translation as well. There will also be audiobooks available in available languages.


Find A.R. Voss and M.D. Bushnell here: 
 
 

Twitter:  @Keyofcreation

 



No comments:

Post a Comment