Tuesday 12 April 2016

Q & A with S.B. Roozenboom

Xenophobia
by S.B. Roozenboom

It's been two centuries since the Telumiras arrived and settled on Earth, changing everything —including the genetic makeup of humans.

Living in the section of land occupied by her own species, Ness Kimler tries to be a normal teenager, worrying about her career and finding a mate—questions to be answered at her upcoming graduation.

But before that happens, Ness accidentally crosses the Great Fence separating humans and Telumiras. For 200 years, the barrier has been in place, preserving the peace on a planet divided between two species.

What she finds is that the Fence isn't just about keeping the aliens in—it's about keeping the humans out.

And Ness Kimler just broke the rules.

Paperback, 279 pages
Expected publication: August 16th 2016 by WiDo Publishing

Find it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon

Read It & Reap:  October 20, 2016

Born to the great northwest, I grew up submerged in fairytales, monster stories, and legends. At seventeen I wrote my first book, which later became the YA epic fantasy, MARKINGS. My other works include YA paranormal novels PREDATOR GIRL and my self-published novel, A TASTE OF SILVER.







 Q & A with S.B. Roozenboom

1. Tell us about your main characters.
Xenophobia follows the story of Ness Kimler, a teenager living in the New USA, one of few nations left after the war between aliens and humans in 2012. While the wars ended two hundred years ago, she is faced with her own battle of trying to decipher her cryptosyms -- the symbols in her skin that will determine her future -- as well as dull her constant fear of the Great Fence, the border that separates humans from alien life. Everyone tells her she shouldn't fear the Fence as it is well monitored and enforced, but if that was the truth she would never meet Tevire, an alien boy who has trespassed onto her side of the world. 

2. Who designs the covers for your books and what is that process like for you as an author?
WiDo Publishing has designed all of my book covers (with one self-published exception) and they have always done a beautiful job. The first time I saw my book cover for Xenophobia I was sitting behind my desk at work and squealed like a piglet, much to my coworkers' surprise, because I was finally finished. After 3 years of writing and rewriting and fighting to make the book as amazing as possible, Xenophobia was about to become a reality. It is truly a phenomenal moment.  

3. Describe your ideal writing spot.
Well, i don't quite have one yet! I used to type my books on the office computer in our family home where I could really think and plot out the perfect story, but since our family is broken apart now I've chosen to move out into a house of my own. The house is still new to me, but I'm thinking my new writing spot is going to be on my bed with my lap desk :)

4. What is the best advice you have been given?
I think the best advice I have ever received was, "Do it. Do it because you want to. Do it because you can." After my family fell apart, in a way I often felt disabled in life. Not only physically, but mentally. I told myself I couldn't do things because of A, B, C, D, etc... I'm slowly reminding myself I can do all the things I want to do. If I want to get up and go for a walk, I can. If I want to garden even though it's raining, I can. If I want to write a new book, I can. The only person that stops us from making our lives the way we want it, is ourselves. It boils down to us and our choices. If we want to build a better life, we can do it. It's not always easy (actually it can be extremely hard) but nothing is impossible.

5. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I was a funny because I always thought I would grow up and be a clothing designer. I was a writer even as a kid but I had convinced myself I would never be good enough to be published (heh) so I had to have another career option... I actually did grow up to be a designer, except I design and sell jewelry, not clothes.

6. Which do you prefer: hard/paperbacks or ebooks?
My heart will always be in the real thing-- I want to touch my books, smell them, turn them, experience them in a way you never will with ebooks. However, I can say as a rising author it is better to be in the ebook business. You will make more money and you will have a lot more resources.

7. If you could have any supernatural power, what would you choose and why?
Gosh, I don't know how I would pick one! I suppose I would be something elemental, a white witch sort of being with control over the elements maybe? Either that or I'd like to have the ability to talk to animals. Maybe then I could convince my chihuahua to stop peeing on my kitchen floor. Hah, hah.

8. What book are you reading now?
So much has been going on in my life I haven't be able to finish anything I've started. I think the most recent book I finished was Hyperbole and a Half, an illustrated memoir by Allie Brosh. That has to be my new favorite book ever! It was so funny, so poignant, and so revolutionary for the nonfiction market. I highly recommend!



No comments:

Post a Comment