Sunday, 14 July 2013

The Necromancer's Seduction by Mimi Sebastian

Author:  Mimi Sebastian 

Genre:  Urban Fantasy

Published:  July 15, 2013 by ImaJinn Books 

Book Description:  She has never feared the walking dead. It’s the power required to reanimate the dead that startles her, seduces her. The power that dwells inside her…and is growing.

For Professor Ruby Montagne, being a necromancer has brought her nothing but heartache, and she walked away from that part of her life long ago. However, her quiet existence in San Francisco is shattered when she stumbles upon the body of a slain witch, and the supernatural community insists she transform him into a revenant to track the killer. But his murder was just the beginning, and Ruby soon realizes that the stakes are higher than anyone can imagine—and that revenants have nasty minds of their own. 

Now demonic creatures have escaped into the human world, and zombies once again walk the streets. For humanity’s sake, Ruby forms an unlikely alliance with a witch, a zombie, and Ewan March, a demon warrior who sets her senses on fire. 

She’s always distrusted demons and Ewan is no exception, but circumstances push them closer together, and Ruby not only finds it harder to resist him, she isn’t sure she even wants to. But she suspects his job of patrolling the portal separating humans and demons conceals a dark and deadly past that may consume them both.

With events spiraling out of control, Ruby unravels a plot that not only threatens the human and demon realms, but puts Ruby’s very soul in jeopardy. Because when the dead walk, no one is safe. Especially Ruby. 

 
4 out of 5 stars
The Necromancer's Seduction is an entertaining, sexy story. The main character, Ruby, is a necromancer – a supernatural with the ability to raise the dead. After a series of murders within the supernatural community, Ruby is petitioned to raise a murdered witch in order to help find the killer. However, raising the dead is not a simple thing to do and it seems that everything that could go wrong does.


I love a good, strong female lead, and Ruby fits the bill. She is not the outright kick-ass type who takes down everyone and everything in her way, but she can hold her own with some help from her friends, and she learns and strengthens her abilities along the way. Throw in a super sexy, irresistible demon and what you've got is a great story.
  

 



Q & A with Mimi Sebastian
 
Q:  Tell us a little bit about your main characters.
A:  Ruby, the necromancer, has this very dark power, which was fun to explore. She’s seen lots of tragedy, yet she perseveres and values her independence, her own sense of identity beyond the supernatural community. To that end, I wanted to ground her character, make her somewhat relatable. She’s a professor. How does the necromancer power affect her professional career? Her love life? Her approach up until the events of the book was to basically disavow her supernatural side. But things change, as they always do, and once she becomes embroiled in supernatural affairs, she faces some difficult decisions.

Kara is a witch and her best friend. Kara is the only supernatural whom Ruby opened up to before the events of the book. They share a snarky friendship, which is put to the test in the books, but they definitely care deeply about each other. Kara has her own issues, problems that she must overcome, and are complicated by the obstacles that Ruby must face.

Ewan is my demon warrior. He’s sexy (of course, right?) and tortured. He’s totally Alpha demon, and has always desired Ruby from afar, and I think it’s quite wonderful how he treats her with incredible sensitivity. He tries to respect her space as much as he can while also trying his best to protect her and get in her pants!

There is the vampire, Lysander. He is attracted to Ruby and that may come into play later, but one of the things I’ve enjoyed doing with my characters is to not make them black or white, but to explore the gray areas. They all have to make horrible choices based their allegiances to their own supernatural race and past events. Lysander is going to change throughout the series, whether it’s for the better or worse remains to be seen. And he and Ewan have some delicious clashes  in the second book.

Last, but not least is my revenant, Adam. A revenant is basically an uber-zombie with control of their mental faculties and very dangerous. He’s pretty pissed off when Ruby reanimates him. Even though he was murdered, death gave him peace from a terrible event. So it sucks when he wakes from death and is once again confronted with the horrible emotions from that trauma.

Q:  In your opinion, what makes a good, strong female character?
A:  I’m glad you asked that question. There has been an expectation in Urban Fantasy, although I think that’s changing somewhat, of a kick ass heroine that can kill villains with her stilettos. I exaggerate , but my heroine is a college professor and has purposely chosen to stay out of the supernatural fray. She’s also a necromancer so doesn’t have the strength of a vampire or werewolf, which actually forces her to be very creative in using her power to get out of sticky situations. I wanted her strengths to be relatable to a modern woman. She has a career, lives by herself and is financially independent. I also wanted her to be comfortable with her sexuality, and okay with feeling and giving in to passion/sexual attraction to the very sexy supernaturals she deals with. This may be viewed as a weakness, (or perceived as more of a paranormal romance heroine) but I don’t completely buy into the heroines, who fight their passion or who are uncomfortable with “giving in”, just for the sake of creating tension and conflict. I’m not saying Ruby sleeps around with every supe she meets, and she definitely has issues with Ewan, but she’s doesn’t equate independence with not giving in to passion.

Q:  If your book were turned into a movie, who would you want to play the parts?
A:  For Ruby, I like Rachel McAdams. Henry Cavill for Ewan, and Ryan Gosling for Lysander. And Charlie Hunnam for Adam. Kara is a tough one, but I envision a young Winona Ryder.

Q:  Who designs the covers for your books and what is that process like for you as an author?
A:  The publisher pretty much controls that. They have a wonderful designer, Patricia Lazarus. I actually had a lot of say in the cover design so it was a painless process.

Q:  What is the best advice you have been given?
A:  When I first started hashing out my first book, I was given advice from another author to check out online classes, and that led to me taking classes, improving my writing craft, and connecting with some wonderful authors and writers. It also helped me improve my work in progress which is now going to be released July 15!

Q:  What do you see as the biggest challenge for indie authors and what have you been doing to overcome that?
A:  Managing social networking, and this is pretty much a task even non-indie authors have to tackle. Unless you are a big name, the big publishers don’t spend a lot of resources on marketing your books. My time is extremely limited, so I get help with setting up blog tours, use some great bloggers that offer services.

Q:  If you could have any superpower, what would you choose?
A:  I’d like the whole Jean Grey, mutant power of telekinesis. Moving objects and controlling things with your mind would be pretty cool, as long as some Phoenix life force didn’t come and try to take control of me 

Q:  What book are you reading now?
A:  Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.



About the Author:  Noemi Ghirghi writes as Mimi Sebastian and raised herself on books and the strange and unusual with an unhealthy dose of comics and Scooby Doo. Loving angst-filled romance thrown in the mix, she decided to blend all those elements in a steamy mix in her first Urban Fantasy series, the Necromancer Books. The first book, The Necromancer’s Seduction, debuts July 15, 2013, with ImaJinn Books.

Noemi spent two years in the Ivory Coast with the Peace Corps and loves to introduce tid-bits from her experiences in her writing. She’s a member of Romance Writers of America and the Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal chapter of RWA. A transplant from the beaches of Florida, Noemi now wanders the desert in Phoenix, AZ, and attempts to balance writing with a day career, fantastic family, and household diva: her Amazon parrot.


www.mimisebastian.com




 
Excerpt

Ewan waved me over to an empty expanse of the porch circled with candles of various shapes and colors, casting an ominous glow that barely chased off the shadows skulking around the room. I walked over, steering clear of the screen.

“Will this do?” he asked.

I nodded. “Where’s Adam’s body?”

“In the basement. Do you want it brought up now?”

“No.” Achieve inner calm while peeking at the dead body, worried it’ll pop up and jump on me? Not likely.

“All right then, I’ll leave you alone.” He didn’t move. The lines around his mouth softened. “I want to apologize for last night. I wasn’t acting very gentlemanly.”

“Gentlemanly?” I smiled. The tension eased from my shoulders. “I’d never use gentleman in the same breath as demon.”

“Now I’m offended.” The crinkle of his eyes told me the opposite. “We demons are quite chivalrous.”

“Chivalrous? I suppose you have a white horse hidden away somewhere?”

He’d somehow moved closer during our exchange and grazed my cheek with his finger. “White horse,” he whispered close to my ear, “boring.”

He lowered his lips to mine but stopped short of touching them, tracing my back with his hand, gliding it up my neck to wrap his fingers in my hair. Our bodies were close but not touching; only our breaths met in a hot exchange. He gazed at my lips before possessing them with his own.

I swayed and caught his shoulders to steady myself. I moaned at the electric shock searing a path from my lips to my core. Feeling, tasting him was better than I ever allowed myself to imagine.

Ewan consumed me.

I wasn’t ready to be consumed.


 


June 14 -
www.roxannesrealm.blogspot.com
June 21 - www.fang-tasticbooks.blogspot.com
June 24 - www.lisasworldofbooks.net
June 28 - www.creativelygreen.blogspot.com
July 5 -
http://melissastevens.us
July 8 - http://butterflyometerbooks.blogspot.com/
July 10 - www.faerietalebooks.org
July 12 - http://readersedyn.blogspot.com/
July 15 - http://shutupandreadgroup.blogspot.com/
July 17 - http://jocelyndex.blogspot.com
July 22 - tiffyfit.blogspot.com
July 23 - http://sharemydestiny.blogspot.com
July 29 - http://www.loveinabook.com
July 31 pembrokesinclair.blogspot.com
August 1 - http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/
August 8 -
www.faerietalebooks.org
August 9 -
http://www.jessicalovesbooks.com
August 10 - http://nickypeacockauthor.wordpress.com/
August 12 - www.houseofmalfunction.com
August 12 - http://melissasnark.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Sheri,

    Thanks for featuring me on your blog today! It's great being here. Thanks for your review, the detail you provided, and for appreciating Ruby's own sense of strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds very interesting. I love when a writer finds a new slant on the supernatural world. Thanks for the giveaway as well. How could I not enter when there is a chance of winning a ceramic skull? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Good luck on the drawing :)

      Delete
  3. wow, this book sounds cool has a lot of things going on not just a necromancer, demons, zombies and witches....wow.

    ReplyDelete